Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Arch-linux, not for beginners

I'm a somewhat technical geek and I occasionally like to experiment with diverse operating systems. Windows does most of the jobs anyway, but my computers have aged with pride and even though I stripped most functions off WinXP [1], it gives me headaches when it takes tea-break in the middle of a process [2].

Whilst rumaging through the web, I read that arch-linux can be completely fit to purpose (alternatively gentoo linux is equally good?). I manage to install and configure the kernel and even a graphical user interface (Xfce), but after this point the FAQ and guides become utter rubbish and they only talk in a linux-gibberish speech no life-scientist will bloody ever understand.

So back to Xubuntu, which will hopefully work properly on my dusty Athlon Thunderbird PC, with a mere 256MB RAM.

[1] I can only recomment nlite
[2] Just like Cricket

4 Comments:

Blogger kozmcrae said...

You might want to give Sam Linux a shot if you haven't already. It's the Xfce version of PCLinuxOS. I use PCLinuxOS and you'd have to pry it from my cold dead hands to get me to switch.

1:59 pm  
Blogger Mike said...

I might give it a shot, thanks.

2:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about Fedora? And PC-BSD?

11:22 pm  
Blogger Mike said...

I was searching for something slim and fast. I also tried Xubuntu, but eventually I wasn't really satisfied, as my old desktop PC has really unique hardware that wasn't properly supported. So back to my WinXPlite, which works swiftly now.

I might try damn small linux on my laptop though, as Ubuntu was quite slow in the 7.10.

I haven't tried Fedore or PC-BSD yet. I actually thought that BSD was something more server oriented without proper GUIs.

12:00 am  

Post a Comment

« Home